Positive changes coming in Richmond in 2009:
- Affordable housing and environmental sustainability finally merge: all Habitat houses built in Richmond will be Earth Craft certified, something that Better Housing Coalition has been doing for 2 years already. Look for 300 or more affordable units to be built by these 2 non-profits this year.
- Legend Brewery expanding.
“The Nielsen Co., a consumer research firm, considers beer one of the most recession-resistant consumer products.” They’ll start creating 6-packs and increasing production.
- The new Bogart’s location is almost open. Good news for live music fans!
- Richmond finally gets a good Indian restaurant (good, at least, according to Style).
And it’s in an old Aunt Sarah’s I used to frequent in high school. I’ll be sure to review it here when I get there.
- 9 restaurants opening near downtown (from Rocketts Landing to Grove & Libbie) – including ceviche & tapas bar, another Carytown sushi spot, more soul food, and more.
And last, but certainly not least, Richmond enters 2009 a much safer city than it has been in years. Though I haven’t seen a final tally, our murder and violent crimes rates have dropped tremendously.